Thursday, November 16, 2017

Taiwan Trip Questions

Bringing my mom for a holidays was always one of my life achievement, no matter where and how many days, spending times with family, creating memories was always one of my favourite things to do.


Taiwan trip initially was not plan in this way, I booked my own ticket from Airasia on September 2016, but I changed my mind and cancel of my ticket early this year about April time. Yes, I burnt my ticket, then I bought a new set tickets with mom, change of travelling date, change visiting spot, change transport mode and change accommodation choices.

22 October 2017, Finally the day had arrive! I had been looking forward for this day in past few months, and when date come closer, I started to get nervous, will I save enough of money is the part I worried the most! You wouldn't expect your mom first traveling with you just go backpack and sleep in airport right? Second thing was can me and mom survive together in this long 17 days of up and down journey??

On 21st, I finished my morning shift 9.30am-5.30pm work and pack my bag back to Malaysia. 8 hours working, 5 hours bus ride, 5 hours waiting in airport, 4 hours flight journey to Taiwan, and a whole day spent finding train, hostel, walk around in Taipei. It was my toughest first day among all the trip I had, awaking for 40 hours, and sleep soundly at night just like a dead salted fish.

Alright, back to topics, here the most question I receive from my friends:

1. Total Spending

I spent RM14,000 for 2 person in 17 days, including flight, transport, food, accommodation, entrance ticket, small shopping and souvenirs.

2. Places I visited

I go round the Taiwan anti-clockwise from Taipei > Taichung > Chiayi > Kaohsiung > Kenting > Hualien > Taipei. Will write a full details when I got extra spare time.

3. Food Price

Average 50 dollar to 100 dollar for street food, like juice, chicken shop, milk tea, takoyaki, squid, meesua and etc.

4. Taiwan transport

I take train from county to county. They got Taiwan Railway (TRA) and Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR), I took the normal TRA and in city by mrt and buses, some bus is free of charge when you tap on Yoyo card. For places which not convenient for my mom to take public transport, I take Taxi option. (e.g. Alishan, Cingjing Farm, Kenting, Hualien, Sun Moon Lake and when I am tired to google)

5. Got raining? Got typhoon?

Lucky me, no typhoon, 17days is all sunshine, only 2 days in Taipei and half day in Hualien got a little rain, rain coat was fine for us.

6. Taiwan People

They are extremely friendly and helpful, of course I am not saying 100% but so far 99% I had met treating us well which make my trip quite an enjoyable one.

7. Language Barrier

As long as you can speak and read a bit mandarin will be all fine. Hokkien is a bonus for bargain discount. Besides, in major city like Taipei and Kaohsiung is very tourist friendly with all the places label in English, also you can find English version map in tourist centre located most train station.

8. Currency

RM 1 = NTD 6.5 / NTD 100 = RM15 (estimate)
SGD 1 = NTD 21.5 / NTD 100 = SGD 4.5 (estimate)

9. Where you stay?

Some hotel and some backpacker hostel, depends on the room rate I found, usually I book one day before I going that place. Price from NTD 1000-NTD2000 per night in average.

10. Season and Weather in Taiwan

September onwards is turning into Autumn and close to Winter, the weather is slightly cold at Taipei, Hualien and Kenting, but still very hot at Taichung, Chiayi and Kaoshiung. Summer start from May till September which also the peak season in Taiwan. When nearly to Winter, 5.30pm is completely dark there, like how 8pm looks like here.

11. How many clothes I bring?

I bring 1 long sleeve, 1 sweater, 1 raincoat, 2 t-shirt, 2 short pants, wearing long jeans. (Me and mom wash our clothes once every 2-3 days in coins laundry shop)

12. Had you finished the whole island yet?

No, it was just maybe less than 1% out of all?? Taiwan is not big but not than small too!

13. Internet

Wifi egg or sim card? If you are 5 person maybe wifi egg? I choose sim card because wifi egg need  keep charging battery to keep alive, and keep using wifi make my phone battery ruin fast too. My internet package is 30 days Unlimited for NTD 1000.

14. What APP I am using?

I use Google Map all the time, checking bus arrival time, bus number, train number, train arrival time, compass, food reviews, place reviews, travel time, and etc. Just like what I said when I went Korea last time, except for China (can't access at all), Google Map is useful in most country when you get lost.

15. Useful Tips

Bring a rain coat, umbrella, light UV coat, bring your debit/credit card because you do not need to change that much of cash when you travel. You are ready off to Taiwan!


16. How's the feeling being first time travel with mom?

Tired is the first thing come inside my mind, being human GPS, photographer, tour guide, butler, and even content writing for her Facebook every single night., my brain is total exhausted. However, the moment of fun when you see your mom experience how the way you travel, bringing surprise for her, trying new food together, getting lost together, walking in the rain with rain coat, taking train from a place to another, night market hoping for every places we go, and I am so happy she is feeling well in this trip. When I was a kid, she hold my little hands to cross over the road; now, I am holding her hands to cross over the big and small roads, up and down stairs. There is many bucket list in life, but I think this is one of my life bucket list which must checked, and I still want to hold her hands again and again for more country!


Just a small potato trying to write down all the experience I got when travelling. Any more question and wrong information given? Let me know. XX

No comments:

Post a Comment